Forum
Share, Discuss, Make a Connection...

Clinking chains.

More
08 Mar 2014 10:33 #1469 by Rend
Clinking chains. was created by Rend
Would anyone be interested in gathering to play some disc golf sometime?

On the southwest side of Papago Park there's an area called Moeur park which offers an excellent disc golf course. There are a lot of trees and vegetation in the area, and a varied terrain, quite different from the open, flat nature of most of the parks in the valley. This makes for a fun, challenging course in a well-shaded area for the front 9, with the back 9 being a bit more open, yet still offering some nicely varied terrain. Quite a few folks play there.

Disc golf itself is a fun, casual group sport that offers a good low-impact workout to people of all fitness levels. You don't have to be in shape to play, but playing can certainly get you in shape. There's a lot of walking involved, so be sure to bring plenty of water.

If you don't have any gear, there's a store called Spinners at 7607 E. McDowell that specializes in disc golf supplies. They sell used gear, so one can pick up discs for about 5 bucks a pop. 3 discs is the recommended minimum, as it's a good idea to have a driver, a midrange, and a putter. Having said that, you don't really need all 3. Some folks putt with a midrange or make midrange shots with a putter. I myself tend to use just one disc (driver) but honestly, doing so tends to make shorter throws needlessly difficult. I'm just a cheapass.

I don't recommend that fursuiters bring their suits to such a thing. Not because of any social dynamic of any kind, but more because you'll be outside, moving, and in the sun, and I really don't want to be treating you for a heat stroke just because you decided it would be a good idea to wear a big fluffy oven.

So, would anyone be interested in doing this as a nice weekend outing? I'd be down for this weekend, or next... So on and so forth. It's a great chance to get out and enjoy the weather before it gets to be insanely hot.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: Kahlua Fennec
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Meet With Us

Come hang out with us at out regular meets and events! We love meeting new furs and people who are interested in the fandom. Check out the Events section for more information.