Forum
Share, Discuss, Make a Connection...

Furry Summer Camping Idea

More
21 Jun 2015 03:18 #2899 by Luke Wolf
So I was thinking about the NW Valley idea list and realized that we don't have any camping meets, Obviously north of the Mogollon Rim has lots and lots of nice cool camping areas, so I think we should discuss this idea.

Lake Mary is probably one of the easier ones to do since it's right off of flagstaff and the road as far as I remember was relatively developed.

but what would you all be interested in doing?

One thing people always forget about science: science never demands a rational explanation for anything. To science anything is possible... including magic... especially magic.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2015 09:46 #2904 by Dante
Replied by Dante on topic Furry Summer Camping Idea
This. This sounds awesome. Christopher Creek is also a personal favorite of mine, but it's not close to Flagstaff, which is a big plus. Oak Creek, probably has the best of all worlds, and there are camping spots down there but... well... during the summer months, we're pretty much SOL when it comes to getting one :(. Now if only they paved the road up to Lockett Meadows, that would also be such an amazing place to camp and near Flagstaff as well. I climbed Inner Basin Trail with Desert and it was pretty awesome, although Desert left me in the dust XD.

More
23 Jun 2015 22:57 #2926 by DuBois
Replied by DuBois on topic Furry Summer Camping Idea
I used to live up in Northern Arizona and did a lot of hiking and camping. Usually I like to do dispersed camping instead of campgrounds (away from other campers this way), though depending on how large a group we're talking an established campground might be better. I know a lot of cool spots up on Mingus Mountain (Dante can vouch for me on this), as well as near Mormon Lake. Lots of nice places just south of Prescott in the Bradshaws too, as well as up on the Rim. I know of a few cabins you can reserve as well.

More
23 Jun 2015 23:18 #2928 by Ditch
Replied by Ditch on topic Furry Summer Camping Idea
Never been camping in Arizona, yet. I'm game for this.

More
24 Jun 2015 03:45 - 24 Jun 2015 03:46 #2930 by Bryant Fox
So.. I'll post this here, and create it's own thread as well:

If you are attending please e-mail me at: Nuwisha22(at)Aol.com or BryantAFox(at)Gmail.com

Okay, first off yes, more sci-fi puns in the name!

Camping, in Near PAYSON. With SPECIAL GUEST CAMPERS Telephone Ring Ring, returning because she's awesome and Comet the Reindeer by popular request and because Comet is awesome.. Possibly more special guest campers to come! Please note me with your suggestions.

This gets long but please read the whole thing.

WHEN: September 9rd(late afternoon) through September 13th Late afternoon! (come for a day, come for the entire time.. It's all up to you )

WHERE: Location is Woods canyon lake in Payson, AZ, the ASPEN campsite. We will be utilizing the same campsites visible in the video on Tucson furs. This year I'm planning to bring some folding tables and more collapsible canopies so we can set up in the field and play card games or hang out.

I shall add that there is a small cost to attend, as there is a fee for the sites. This has averaged around $8 per person for the entire weekend, as sites accommodate up to 8 people (though nobody has come by and counted noses), and cost $16 per night.

The vanguard will be arriving to begin set up around noon-3pm on september 9th. I'll leave notice at the campsite entrance of where we'll be, just tell them you're looking for Bryant or the Furries. I'll also place the information at the various scenic overlooks, probably on paper plates tacked to the signs.

There will also be a Kuub set, for epic games of throwing wood blocks and sticks at other wood blocks and sticks.

Activities include camping, fishing, fursuiting, cooking, napping, boating (boats can be rented at the lake if you do not have your own), hiking, dancing around the fire like a bunch of pagans, etc. There will be a crawfish boil on Saturday night (this is provided I can catch enough crawfish but we saw tons of them last year so I think we can pull it off!).

There is also bird and animal watching. We saw bald eagles last year, as well as fishers, various hawks, and an Elk who came to hang out in our campsite!
Last edit: 24 Jun 2015 03:46 by Bryant Fox. Reason: adding contact info.

More
24 Jun 2015 15:41 #2940 by Dante

DuBois wrote: I used to live up in Northern Arizona and did a lot of hiking and camping. Usually I like to do dispersed camping instead of campgrounds (away from other campers this way), though depending on how large a group we're talking an established campground might be better. I know a lot of cool spots up on Mingus Mountain (Dante can vouch for me on this), as well as near Mormon Lake. Lots of nice places just south of Prescott in the Bradshaws too, as well as up on the Rim. I know of a few cabins you can reserve as well.

DuBois definitely knows the Mingus Mountains. We had a great time hiking the last time. We saw a cave, and an abandoned hermit cabin from early 1900s and we even hit a snowstorm on the way back. It was crazy stuff. Also, I've stopped with the piscatarian bit, so I'm less annoying and can now eat BBQ :P.

More
28 Jun 2015 21:00 #2958 by Badgers_Revolt
Wow. :O This sounds so fun. Now I really wish I had a car. :(

More
19 Jul 2015 20:09 #3015 by Dante
One thing I did notice -- won't we kinda freeze our butts off in September? Especially given that Canyon Woods is up on the rim instead of below it? It's also extra far from both Payson and Flagstaff. Would there be any particular reason why you'd choose this site over Christopher Creek (which is below the rim, closer to town and doesn't require vehicles to go over dirt roads, it's also some freaking beautiful terrain for camping).

More
21 Jul 2015 19:49 #3027 by DuBois
Replied by DuBois on topic Furry Summer Camping Idea

Dante wrote: One thing I did notice -- won't we kinda freeze our butts off in September? Especially given that Canyon Woods is up on the rim instead of below it?

Overnight lows in that area are in the lower 50's in September, weather conditions permitting. It wouldn't be that bad at all considering we'd have campfires and sleeping bags. What I'd be most concerned about are Monsoon storms; the Monsoon is still pretty active in September up in Northern Arizona. It would be a hit or miss thing planning a date for the camp out. It doesn't bother some people though, just look at the furry campout in Oak Creek Canyon two summers ago (the one that Kage came to). It rained on and off almost that whole weekend and everyone still had a great time.

Christopher Creek would be a good choice too though. My guess is that organizers are probably just familiar with Woods Canyon more.

Moderators: Kahlua Fennec
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds

Meet With Us

Come hang out with us at out regular meets and events! We love meeting new furs and people who are interested in the fandom. Check out the Events section for more information.