Forum
Share, Discuss, Make a Connection...

AZ Furs Meetup group, Please read

Poll:Continue Using Meetups.com?

Yes
2 100%
No
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 2 ( Linx Aether, Kahlua Fennec )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
More
05 Nov 2014 16:56 #2299 by Rayven Dealomous
Once again we are without an organizer. I have stepped up temporarily to keep the group together, however, due to our large member count our yearly fees are quite large.

At this current time, with 729 members are fees are:

$82.49 every six months or $164.98 every year.

I alone cannot carry such amount every year. So I ask all of you, do you wish to continue to use Meetups as a major source of our event postings, or is this a redundant waste of time?

I know that up until recently, Meetups was my only way of knowing what events were occuring, and I know for others out there this is the same for them.

So, if you want this group to continue we need to come together and donate some funds for running this group. I am willing to draw some badges or even give out some tails to raise funds.

So please let us know how to continue, otherwise in 30 days I will shutdown the group.

Thanks,

Rayven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2014 20:15 #2300 by Hauke
I saw on Facebook that funds were collected for the next year, is that true?

Bawk Bawk Bawk-a-thrice Here comes the Cockatrice

More
06 Nov 2014 03:29 #2311 by Linx Aether

Hauke wrote: I saw on Facebook that funds were collected for the next year, is that true?

I would also like to know this. I will still work on getting the events page here to work like meetup.com does, but if it is paid for I don't need to feel so rushed.

I am the admin, Hear me mew!

More
06 Nov 2014 17:04 #2322 by Rayven Dealomous
Yes a donation for the full amount has been paid, so we are good until next year

More
06 Nov 2014 20:07 #2324 by Linx Aether
Great! ^^

More
21 Jul 2015 08:32 #3021 by Amirrah
Hi All! Loooong time no see! That's mostly because I got a job working at EA in Salt Lake City, so I had to move away from Arizona back in Oct of last year. (I'm a programer on the Minions mobile game now. Yay!) Some of you might remember me, though I don't expect the majority to have any idea who I am. ;)

I'm posting here because I'm the one that started the Meetup Group originally. I know you currently plan to let it shut down, due to cost. (Sorry, I couldn't find the most current forum thread about it.) I feel bad about that though, as I never meant to have the cost become a burden to others. Hearing how much the cost has gone up and how it's hard for you to pay it... makes me feel responsible. Though I didn't realize the cost would increase like that, I don't like that I left you stuck with a yearly bill of that size. I am more than happy to fix that problem for you, now that I have a good paying job. But first, it's worth asking - Do you want to keep it? If you never had to pay for it again?

My number one reason for starting the Meetup was to make it easier for furries to find you and join the local community. When I first looked for you, this site was down (it happens), and then when I returned later I had a hard time finding any real life events (at that time). Fortunately, I did attend several picnic meetings, made some real friends, and the positive impression made at these meetings has stuck with me. It was a lot of fun and I really appreciate all the friendly, wonderful furries I was able to meet. Meetup helped me make several of those meetings because I had/have a busy schedule, and I set my email preferences to tell me about certain events. Very handy, I thought.

Some furries weren't happy with the idea of the Meetup group though, and I understand why... it's not always a good idea to have two sites, as it *could* make it more difficult for current furries to find events or stay in touch. Furs were worried about a division in the community; I'm glad Meetup did not result in that. But it may take additional time to update both.

Now that it's been a little over 4 years, what do you think of the site? NOT the cost of it. The site itself. Does it help furries find you? Or is it a pain in the tail to update it? Does it remind you of meetings you wish to attend? Or do you basically ignore it? Does it give you a quick reference when you're about to go somewhere but can't recall if it's fursuit friendly or not? Any thoughts about why it's good, bad, or whatever?

Azfurs.com has grown and improved a lot. (I like the layout!) It won't hurt my feelings any if you say you don't need/want Meetup anymore. However, I do occasionally meet furries (on Furaffinity) that still say they found the AZ Furs through the Meetup group, so I don't want cost to be the only reason it ends.

If you want to keep it, or kind of want to keep it, I'm willing to pay for it from now on. I think I can only pay one year at a time, but I'll put it on auto-renew, so you don't have to poke me to remind me. Or I can buy a pre-paid credit card and send the number to Rayven, whichever works best for you. No more fund raisers or anything; you should use fund raisers for the Arizona Fur Con, if you have them at all.

Let me know what you think, and feel free to email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.! I wish you all the best of luck, and don't be surprised if I visit you once or twice a year. I still have a lot of family in Arizona.

More
21 Jul 2015 09:18 #3022 by Linx Aether
I personally love meetup, it actually is really easy to integrate the current events page with meetup registration. It just seems like everyone would rather rsvp on facebook.

If you are gonna pay for it, I say go for it. That was the only real bummer thing about the site. X3

More
21 Jul 2015 17:25 #3026 by Amirrah
Cool, I'm glad you like it. I got the date for the next AZ FurCon from it today, so asked (way in advance) for the time off. :D

More
21 Jul 2015 22:10 - 21 Jul 2015 22:21 #3028 by Toxxis
Good to hear from you Amirrah glad all is well. I've been just as much a stranger been bouncing back and forth between 3 states over the last several years. Some of you may better know me as KhaosBunny / Kao instead of Toxxis. I am back in AZ with a great company, and plan to once again have a proactive role in the community.

Formality aside, I too would like to see the meetup stay alive. I was the second Organizer, and continued what Amirrah started.

I can help with the costs as well, the price is not a burden on my finances.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2015 22:21 by Toxxis.

More
22 Jul 2015 18:29 #3032 by Rayven Dealomous
From last meet the decision was made to yes, keep Meetups active for 2016. There are still those do not want nor have interest in using Facebook, and until the new add-ons are completed for the site it will still remain our alternative to facebook. I am unable to pay for it anymore as not only did I pay for 2015 but also the delinquent payments from 2014. As of November 2015 all of our dues will have been paid and the new balance will roll over, I believe you can choose to pay 2x a year, which should be about $89 each time. So its a little less than the $200(this may change, meetups has been weird recently with the WePay merger and its random fees).

As we get closer to the roll over dates I will post again for those that want to take over the meetup group.

Moderators: Kahlua Fennec
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds

Meet With Us

Come hang out with us at out regular meets and events! We love meeting new furs and people who are interested in the fandom. Check out the Events section for more information.