Forum
Share, Discuss, Make a Connection...

What do your books say about you?

More
06 Dec 2013 23:09 #416 by Luke Wolf
So there's a saying, you can tell a lot about a person by their bookshelves. What do yours say about you?

Mine basically say that I'm a programmer, due to the overwhelming prevalence of books on the matter (and most of them are methodology not language (and most of the language ones being C# focused due to it having so many features the other C-Derieved languages don't have)), that I have a strong interest in dogs and wolves, holistic medicine (as in the real thing not the new-age hijacked term), and relationship based training techniques, also that I have an interest in fiction involving animals. Oh also that I'm building up a newfound interest in Werewolf the Apocalypse.

One thing people always forget about science: science never demands a rational explanation for anything. To science anything is possible... including magic... especially magic.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2013 15:44 #473 by Dante
I have three bookshelves overflowing with books, organized roughly by subject matter and I borrow space on my parents book shelves as well. My father has seven and my Mom has about two. Not the small ones either, the floor to ceiling kind, with 5 rows per shelf, roughly. In total, I have 300+ books at my disposal at any given time. Of these...

There are 5 shelves of programming books. One shelf is dedicated to web application development, with quite a few books devoted to Ruby on Rails and JavaScript (along with a couple of books devoted to Graph Databases). Another row is dedicated completely to C#.NET,, mostly the Apress series. The rest are random languages: JavaScript, Java, Visual Basic, LabView, Python, Fortran, VB.NET, PHP, PIC Micro-controllers, C, C++, HTML, Gray Hat Hacking, and some general programming books on agile and algorithms. Some of these I've never even read, but keep on reference in case I want to in a hurry.

I also have around four slightly wider bookshelves of science textbooks, mostly in physics. Mechanics, E&M, quantum mechanics, computational physics, electronics, some reference materials (The Cambridge Handbook of Physics Formulas is the best of these, but the CRC is much easier to throw across the room), I still haven't taken a serious effort at the tensor calculus, general relativity, string theory, particle physics or fluid mechanics.

Then I have about 2 shelves of math texts. Including linear algebra, numerical analysis, operations research, neural network analysis, my old calculus textbook (4th ed. of Early Fundamentals), group theory, real analysis, introduction to advanced mathematics (the little green book) and some fun books like Flatterland, or Penrose Tiles to Trapdoor Ciphers.

I also have two shelves devoted to philosophy, religion and analytical psychology. I have numerous books by Carl Jung, a big Strong's Concordance, a commentary and a dictionary on the Bible, the Baghita Ghita, the Bible (KJV and TNIV), The Nag Hammadi Scriptures (The Dead Sea Scrolls), Tolstoi's The Kingdom of God is Within You, an encyclopedia of 20,000 dreams and a few books by Peter McWilliams (He gets way too much mileage reusing his old writing in new books). Oh, and Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. Dry, dry, dry reading that last one (shivers), I could barely make it past the first few pages. Of course, the begets in the Bible were pretty hideous too.

I also have 52 books on my Kindle that I'm forgetting. Most of my Tolstoi collection is here, because they're all pretty cheap or just plain public domain (hence free). I also have a few books on anarchism here, but never got too deep into them. I did make some progress on the Communist Manifesto though, and I have to say, it wasn't what I was expecting at all.

I have a furry fiction collection, which is slowly growing and probably the most relevant to this thread: Argo, Legacy (The Resonance Tetralogy), In Wilder Lands, Bait and Switch, Into the Desert Wilds, Shatter, The Shattered Sky (reading this now, loving it), The Long Road Home: Twisted Paths, Farmers and Mercenaries, Piggy Motto, Pile and Fuzzy Sets, Fuzzy Log- Oh wait, no that last one is a math book XD.

I also have a collection of books dedicated to writing itself. The Emotional Thesaurus and Word Painting are among my favorites recently, but I've also read some books on female main characters to try and wrap my tiny little male mind around a female character that DEMANDS that she have a part in a book (may heaven have mercy on her soul). More and more, I'm acquiring my writing books over Kindle. Even if they're slightly more expensive, I get them immediately, which is just about when I want to start reading them (not two weeks from now), I've also run out of bookshelf space, so I need to start collecting books that take up no space until I get a larger room to dedicate to my literary addiction. Still, I have sold quite a few books over Amazon from my prior collection (reducing redundancy) and some are held in the garage in storage I think.

Finally, I have a few miscellaneous small books. A collection of books on small business management, the stock market (I've still never jumped into either), Latin, Japanese, Russian, Soviet Airland Battle Tactics, Ray Kurzweil's The Singularity is Near (good book), a pre-nazi history of modern Germany, the RMS Titanic Owner's Manual, The Veginomicon, a book on finding hidden swimming holes in the southwest, and naturally two hardcover copies of my own thesis along with a dream journal and two journal books holding my ideas and discoveries in mathematics and physics.

Some days, I think my motto in life is: BUY ALL THE BOOKS! :woohoo:

More
07 Dec 2013 18:18 - 07 Dec 2013 18:19 #476 by Antnommer
heh Besides some hard sci-fi books and Lovecraft anthologies, I have books by Carl Sagan, Lawrence Krauss, Richard Dawkins, Steven Pinker, and the like. I also have plenty of insect related books, including a copy of The Superorganism signed by Bert Hoelldobler. The rest is graphic novels and random stuff. I keep a lot of ebooks on my computer, mostly programming books.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2013 18:19 by Antnommer.

More
07 Dec 2013 18:27 #478 by Frost Fawkes
I suppose mine say that I love comics, graphic novels, sci-fi, fantasy, everything written by Steinbeck, and dog-training!
Also that instead of selling my old textbooks for a painfully low amount of money I just keep them around... (What? I like reading philosophy? :3)

More
07 Dec 2013 19:47 #496 by Dante

Antnommer wrote: heh Besides some hard sci-fi books and Lovecraft anthologies, I have books by Carl Sagan, Lawrence Krauss, Richard Dawkins, Steven Pinker, and the like. I also have plenty of insect related books, including a copy of The Superorganism signed by Bert Hoelldobler. The rest is graphic novels and random stuff. I keep a lot of ebooks on my computer, mostly programming books.

You might have went, but if not, you would have LOVED the Origins Symposium at ASU. I went back in 2009 and I'm pretty sure I remember Krauss, Dawkins and Pinker giving lectures there. Oddly enough, although I came to see physicists speak (I got to see Neil Degrasse Tyson and unfortunately Stephen Hawking couldn't show up because he was sick), I ended up enjoying the other presentations more - particularly Pinker if I remember correctly.

More
08 Dec 2013 11:27 #514 by Antnommer

Dante wrote: You might have went, but if not, you would have LOVED the Origins Symposium at ASU. I went back in 2009 and I'm pretty sure I remember Krauss, Dawkins and Pinker giving lectures there. Oddly enough, although I came to see physicists speak (I got to see Neil Degrasse Tyson and unfortunately Stephen Hawking couldn't show up because he was sick), I ended up enjoying the other presentations more - particularly Pinker if I remember correctly.

hehe Yep! I've been to almost every Origins event, if not all of them. I have autographs from Krauss and Dawkins, and I think my mate managed to get one from Pinker and maybe Sam Harris.

More
08 Dec 2013 16:18 #534 by Blossome
My bookshelf screams literature nerd, it's full of old classics, several 'Complete Works' like Shakespeare and Poe. Then there's the entire collections of Dragon Riders of Pern, Xanth, Hobbit/LOTR and Discworld novels, and then there's the shelf of sci-fi classics like Fahrenheit 451, Martian Chronicles, and Hitchikers Guide.
Lastly is the shelf on Germanic runes, herbal and animal magic, meditation and astronomy.

So I guess my bookshelf really just says that I'm eclectic? idk.

More
08 Dec 2013 16:51 #537 by DuBois

Blossome wrote: sci-fi classics like Fahrenheit 451

I'm actually reading the Illustrated Man right now. Ray Bradbury can be really depressing, he's not for the light of heart.

I need to read through the Space Odyssey series again, I never finished 3001.

More
08 Dec 2013 18:01 - 08 Dec 2013 18:01 #543 by Blossome
DuBois wrote:

I'm actually reading the Illustrated Man right now. Ray Bradbury can be really depressing, he's not for the light of heart.

I need to read through the Space Odyssey series again, I never finished 3001.

Owwww, The Illustrated Man. I still cry when I read Martian Chronicles, I dunno if I could handle rereading that one again. All of my feels.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2013 18:01 by Blossome.

More
08 Dec 2013 18:27 #545 by DuBois

Blossome wrote: Owwww, The Illustrated Man. I still cry when I read Martian Chronicles, I dunno if I could handle rereading that one again. All of my feels.

Yeah, it's pretty much a book about all the different ways to die in space heh. And I remember reading 451 and some of the Martian Chronicles in my Sci-Fi class in high school.

More
08 Dec 2013 23:26 #555 by sparks
I read mostly manga some sifi mostly fantasy novels I have a couple how to draw books. many journals.I also have how to books on how to give good back rubs and identify plants. which i haven't really read to thurally but they just peeked my interest at the time. some d&d books and other rpg's i have a rather small book shelf. but i love to read manga though im picky about what to read since I've been in a car accident and both times had a concussion so it takes me for ever to read since i get head aches after awhile.

More
10 Dec 2013 00:02 #621 by Ouiji
Lots of Lovecraft, does this make me weird? XP
Aside from that, I kept alot of my textbooks from college, cook books, books on strategy, self-improvement (How to Win Friends and Influence People, highly recommend this for those that want to be more assertive), plus I bought a few other science and math reference books. I do have a small section devoted to poisons/pharmacology, mainly because of what I want to eventually do for a career. On my e-reader, been going through a bunch of classics...I love 'Call of the Wild' and 'White Fang'.

More
10 Dec 2013 00:50 #622 by DuBois

Bryan wrote: I love 'Call of the Wild' and 'White Fang'.

Jack London is an AMAZING writer. I read White Fang in a middle school English class and absolutely loved it. I actually finally got around to reading Call of the Wild a few months ago. You certainly get the feels from that ending. It's really interesting how the two books are practically the same story but reversed. I'll need to read White Fang again soon.

More
10 Dec 2013 09:29 #626 by Antnommer

Bryan wrote: Lots of Lovecraft, does this make me weird? XP

If it does, I'm one of the strangest people alive. (Which may be true regardless.) HUGE Lovecraft fan over here!

More
10 Dec 2013 11:38 #643 by Stargazer Starpanthress
Eclectic gamer geek and home body?

There are a wide variety of cookbooks, Pathfinder books, D&D books(multiple editions), the full Dresden Files series thus far, a couple of the Codex books from Butcher as well, the main Harry Potter set, assorted novels of Terry Pratchett, Elfquest graphic novels, strategy guides for various video games, and a couple home improvement books for minor fixes. That is just the one book case, there are a couple totes worth of more books that I just don't have the shelf space for at the moment.
>.<

Moderators: Kahlua Fennec
Time to create page: 0.683 seconds

Meet With Us

Come hang out with us at out regular meets and events! We love meeting new furs and people who are interested in the fandom. Check out the Events section for more information.