Forum
Share, Discuss, Make a Connection...
× Welcome to the AZ Furs forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hellllooooo All (again)

More
14 Apr 2019 01:00 #5260 by Konner
Greeting all!,

(Had a previous account, which due to some technical difficulties with my address, has been..erhm...compromised :p)

I am pretty new resident/student in Arizona and would loooove to connect with some of my furry comrades! I am bit....shy still as far as large public appearances and CONs, but outside that I am pretty sociable! And even in that regard...I am getting more and more comfortable, and looking to work my way up to that. I am pretty easy to talk to, but admit to being a bit of nerd when it comes to a lot of things: books, movies, music, philosophy, language...(bleeeh) but also enjoying hiking and such.
Whether is coffee or beer, I enjoy a social beverage or a social situation in general. And of course, I would love to talk to folks online as well!
Hope to to talk to y'all

Life is too short to take seriously

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2019 06:45 #5264 by Yue
Replied by Yue on topic Hellllooooo All (again)
Hi! Nice to meet you, I'm Yue.

You say you're a language nerd--are you more into linguistics, or learning foreign languages? I was a Japanese major and am now studying Chinese in Chengdu, so I'm always looking for fellow language nerds!!

More
14 Apr 2019 10:57 #5265 by Konner
Replied by Konner on topic Hellllooooo All (again)
Hey there Yue!!

Chinese AND Japenese?? That..... is...impressive.
As for me, yes I do enjoy learning them (as well as enjoy the former to a lesser extent). I speak Russian and moved to Arizona to study that and Slavic languages in general.
'But back to you; looks like you have more than dipped your toes in that world!...I took one semester of Mandarin and could not get a hold of tonality haha. I got a friend from Taiyuan, for example, and I can't pronounce it without it sounding like "Taiwan"..haha.

I am glad we got some other language geeks here! I hope your time Chengdu is going well. Nice to meet you, once again!

More
14 Apr 2019 21:40 #5267 by Yue
Haha, thank you! I don't feel it's that impressive though, I think we can all get there as long as we are willing to put in the time!!

Mandarin is definitely difficult when it comes to tones! I think I'm better at hearing them than speaking them, tbh haha. Pronunciation can be hard too, like ΓΌ/yu and r (rongyi, riyongpin etc.). I still can't get a hang of r!

You speak Russian though! That's awesome. I love the sound of Russian, but the pronunciation seems impossible! It seems like there are a lot of sounds in the language that come from the throat rather than the front of the mouth (correct me if I'm wrong!) and that's just so hard for me, lmao. So cool to meet another language enthusiast though.

Good luck with your studies as well! ^^

More
16 Apr 2019 14:08 #5268 by Konner
Replied by Konner on topic Hellllooooo All (again)
Russian pronunciation at first is a bit tricky....but the way my TA taught me as oddly enough to imitate the very exaggerated Russian villain accents in hollywood movies, when speaking Russian lol. They aren't correct, but it gives you a good foundation and it becomes easy to build off of.
(The real trouble with Russian is the grammar ugh )

You are being too modest! Haha, Russian and slavic languages, however different than English, is still part of the larger Indo-European family, which includes English, sooo waaay waaayy back they share the same extinct parent language. Japanese and Chinese....totally...different...beasts, even from each other. Though what you say is true about putting the time, it certainly takes someone with wits to them to study both!

And good luck on your studies as well! ^ ^ I realized I just nerdgasmed in this post heh. (I wish I could reply with anything meaningful in either language. )

More
19 May 2019 07:35 #5277 by Yue
Whew, so sorry for the ridiculously late response, Konner! I had trouble logging on for a time...

Haha, that's really interesting! I'm bad at even the movie villain accents too though, LOL! Oh well, I don't think I have it in me to study Russian full-time.

And well, thank you!! :) I appreciate that! No worries about not being able to converse in Japanese/Chinese though, I can't do so in Russian either!!!

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds

Meet With Us

Come hang out with us at our regular meets and events! We love meeting new furs and people who are interested in the fandom. Check out the Events section for more information.