Forum
Share, Discuss, Make a Connection...
× Welcome to the AZ Furs forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Resident Wolf Therian retaking up Residence

More
05 Dec 2013 01:46 - 05 Dec 2013 02:06 #68 by Luke Wolf
Reintroductions? Why Not? I'm your resident Wolf Therian from this forum's past life.

For those who don't already know or remember from the previous incarnation of the forum, I'm a computer scientist focused on application development, a Free and Open Source Software developer and advocate, linux user, and AMD fan. I have a wide range of interests, although my main ones are Computers (everything about them from the Computer science aspects, to hardware, to videogames), Wolves (and dogs), and Therianthropy. I have secondary interests in anime, webcomics, fantasy and scifi novels (particularly those involving wolves), among other things.

I'm the main software developer for Alien's Guide LLC a company that will launch product sometime soon with the goal of providing a bridge of understanding between those on the Autistic Spectrum and those not.

If you were at AZFurCon I was the guy in the grey trenchcoat, black shirt and pants, white tail, black glasses... You know the standard cyberpunk look, *grumbles about how cyberpunk has fallen by the wayside due to steampunks*... and was apparently one of only two furs to do the scavenger hunt

I've thought about going to the IHOP meets but it's a bit late at night to be playing around with buses at least for going back.

Also any other therians please send me a message I started talking to Talon Bloodrayn, the Otherkin advisor for the Otherworlds Festival a few weeks ago and he indicated that their ultimate goal was to revitalize and foster the local otherkin community including therians as well as helping to establish packs and howls. Well.. I figured I couldn't just sit around and let things sit with the current state of the local therian community, so regardless of whatever plans they might have had I'm taking this opportunity to begin planning my own Howl, I don't have a good idea on time yet other than that it'll probably be a weekend event during summer somewhere in the northern foresty region of this state. For now since it's in preliminary planning stages I've got a thread about this on Forest Horizon.

One thing people always forget about science: science never demands a rational explanation for anything. To science anything is possible... including magic... especially magic.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2013 02:06 by Luke Wolf.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2013 01:55 #70 by Evee Everwolf
Very nice to know that there's some therians here in the AZ furs!
I am also one, happen to be a black wolf, hence why my sona's main fur color is black.

Not sure about you, but i'm very excited to see where this website goes!

~Evee Everwolf

More
05 Dec 2013 11:53 #111 by Antnommer

More
05 Dec 2013 13:41 #130 by Luke Wolf
Evee,
Well that there's therians in among the furs is to be expected, there's a lot of crossover between the two groups in terms of people. The simple fact is that as an animal a therian is more drawn to animal-centric art, stories, and other media than to humans and well... which group has the animal content? Furries. So it's kind of natural that most therians are in fact also furries, although we're certainly our own very separate group. Main problem the local therian community has right now though is that we're completely unorganized, I've spent years trying to find other local therians but we have no real online presence that I could find. Neither the Otherkin Organizer for the Otherworld Festival nor I know of any local packs or howls though, so I'm seeking to correct that situation, although whether I'm going to organize on my own or have ability to utilize their resources is yet to be seen. I sent you a contact request on skype, and I'd appreciate if you know others of our kind that you'd send them my way, and of course there's the thread on werebeastcommunity.proboards.com/ (Forest Horizon) which unless they decide to expand the scope of this to be Furries and Therians I'm going to push therians in the direction of that forum until the Otherworlds group finally decides to hook up a forum into it's site.

Antnommer,
Hey there!

One thing people always forget about science: science never demands a rational explanation for anything. To science anything is possible... including magic... especially magic.

More
05 Dec 2013 15:24 #170 by Stargazer Starpanthress
Welcome to the new site and hope you enjoy it. :)

More
06 Dec 2013 00:45 #273 by Luke Wolf
I am, the new site is pretty good, although there are the various issues that had needed to be worked out and some that still do which means it's not perfect, plus it seems to be getting slow when the people viewing is getting up around 100 but otherwise yeah good job to those involved.

More
06 Dec 2013 00:52 #274 by Linx Aether
The slowness is all due to me actually XD
The guest user count is false, it is a side affect of my hourly backups and antivirus. I have been patching things that I notice are broken which requires a partial reboot. That may explain the slowness. I will keep an eye out just in case it is something else slowing the site down.

I am the admin, Hear me mew!

More
06 Dec 2013 01:02 #275 by Luke Wolf
Antivirus? Now that surprises me as it implies you're using a windows box to run this, I would have thought that something like this would be running on a headless Linux/BSD box out of sheer principle.

More
06 Dec 2013 01:08 #276 by Linx Aether
Web servers are the most vulnerable linux machines. Yes I am running a headless linux server. I run antivirus on all machines regardless of OS. Just because it is linux does not make it perfect. :3

More
06 Dec 2013 01:27 #289 by Luke Wolf
that's a fair point I suppose. Although correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that while there were some theoretical ways to write viruses for Linux, there was nothing really in the wild at the moment, and that the way people trying to hack such systems normally get in is by taking advantage of vulnerabilities in the software such as SQL Injection, although that said if the antivirus has the capability of picking up on things like backdoors, intrusions and that sort of thing then there's definitely a use for it. I'm a Software Development focused Computer Scientist not a sysadmin though so I might be totally off base there, and if so I'd like to know.

More
06 Dec 2013 01:35 #290 by Linx Aether

Luke Wolf wrote: that's a fair point I suppose. Although correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that while there were some theoretical ways to write viruses for Linux, there was nothing really in the wild at the moment, and that the way people trying to hack such systems normally get in is by taking advantage of vulnerabilities in the software such as SQL Injection, although that said if the antivirus has the capability of picking up on things like backdoors, intrusions and that sort of thing then there's definitely a use for it. I'm a Software Development focused Computer Scientist not a sysadmin though so I might be totally off base there, and if so I'd like to know.

You are on the money. The antivirus is a fail safe, we do have measures to prevent spam bots and sql injections as well as malicious file upload. The antivirus does a full system scan once a day, but during the day as photos are uploaded to the gallery, and files are attached to the forum, they are scanned. Because it is not just the server that i am protecting, it is the users.
One of the biggest things going around for linux is a rogue mail server, which usually gains access through a file upload service. It is harmless to the server and the users, but not to the CBL which is a blocking list, Sad to say we were infected during the beta, but we are now clean. But now I have to get us off the CBL so people like Hotmail, Live, Yahoo, and AOL will talk to us. In the end, it was my rush to get things done in time that let the little rascal in. :whistle:

More
06 Dec 2013 15:23 #361 by DuBois

Luke Wolf wrote: that's a fair point I suppose. Although correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that while there were some theoretical ways to write viruses for Linux, there was nothing really in the wild at the moment, and that the way people trying to hack such systems normally get in is by taking advantage of vulnerabilities in the software such as SQL Injection, although that said if the antivirus has the capability of picking up on things like backdoors, intrusions and that sort of thing then there's definitely a use for it. I'm a Software Development focused Computer Scientist not a sysadmin though so I might be totally off base there, and if so I'd like to know.

While you generally don't have to worry as much for a personal use Linux box, with servers it's better to take extra precautions. Also, rootkits are a thing.

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds

Meet With Us

Come hang out with us at out regular meets and events! We love meeting new furs and people who are interested in the fandom. Check out the Events section for more information.